To leave a comment, click on the header. You have to be "in" the post for the comments to appear. THANKS!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

An early Book Birthday

Ok - I screwed up my first post.  For some inexplicable reason, I thought this book was coming into the world today.  It is not.  You have to wait until next Tuesday the 8th  Sorry!  I'm human.  But in the meantime, you can consider this a Waiting on Wednesday post or some other sort of temptation to make you wish next Tuesday was here already...
I want to be beautiful like you, I thought, as if Mandarin were listening.


I want apricot skin and Pocahontas hair and eyes the color of tea. I want to be confident and detached and effortlessly sensual, and if promiscuity is part of the package, I will gladly follow your lead. All I know is I'm so tired of being inside my body.


I would give anything to be like Mandarin.

It's hard to find beauty in the badlands of Washokey, Wyoming. Fourteen-year-old Grace Carpenter knows it's not her mother's pageant obsessions, or the cowboy dances and pickup trucks adored by her small-town classmates. True beauty is wild girl Mandarin Ramey: seventeen, shameless and utterly carefree.

Grace would give anything to be like Mandarin.

When the misfits are united for a project, they embark on an unlikely, explosive friendship, packed with nights spent skinny-dipping in the canal, liberating the town's animal-head trophies, and constantly searching for someplace magic. Grace even plays along when Mandarin suggests they make a pact to run away together. Blame it on the crazy-making wildwinds that plague their badlands town.

But all too soon, Grace discovers Mandarin's unique beauty hides a girl who's troubled, broken and even dangerous. And no matter how hard Grace fights to keep the magic, even the best friendships can't withstand betrayal.

Like Mandarin will be published by Random House/Delacorte in March 2011.