To leave a comment, click on the header. You have to be "in" the post for the comments to appear. THANKS!

Friday, December 3, 2010

Tyger, Tyger: A Book Review


     Teagan Wylltson's best friend, Abby, dreams that horrifying creatures--goblins, shape-shifters, and beings of unearthly beauty but terrible cruelty--are hunting Teagan. Abby is always coming up with crazy stuff, though, so Teagan isn't worried. Her life isn't in danger. In fact, it's perfect. She's on track for a college scholarship. She has a great job. She's focused on school, work, and her future. No boys, no heartaches, no problems.
     Until Finn Mac Cumhaill arrives. Finn's a bit on the unearthly beautiful side himself. He has a killer accent and a knee-weakening smile. And either he's crazy or he's been haunting Abby's dreams, because he's talking about goblins, too . . . and about being The Mac Cumhaill, born to fight all goblin-kind. Finn knows a thing or two about fighting. Which is a very good thing, because this time, Abby's right. The goblins are coming.
I posted a mid-point review of Tyger, Tyger here because I was having so much guilt over not finishing the book before it's release on November 15th.  After all, I'd been fortunate enough to receive an ARC from the publisher via netgalley.com (if you're a book reviewer, check it out).

I had two main gripes then: (1) starting with monkeys and (2) Gaelic names I couldn't pronounce.  Those gripes didn't change as I finished the books.  I did find a third potential gripe, but I'm not sure it's fair.  I say that because, I found I was a bit confused in parts of the book, but I didn't read this cover to cover quickly enough. In fact, it probably took me about a month.  So in all fairness to the book, I'm sure I forgot and/or missed key parts that would've made it more clear.

That being said, I found the book to be very well written.  Some of the events as the characters journey into Mag Mell were richly described and completely surprising -- things I didn't see coming.  Without posting any spoilers, the ending came full circle back to the beginning in a way that tied things up nicely without leaving a perfect little bow.  Kersten Hamilton is obviously a gifted writer and storyteller, I just think that overall, this wasn't the best story for my own personal tastes.  If you don't mind hard Irish names, or you love independent, kick-butt female MCs, you'll probably really enjoy Tyger, Tyger.
In short, I give it 2.5 out of 4 Greek coins.  Not quite URA* but better than ICBW.  If you want to read the first few pages or buy your own copy, check out the Amazon page. Happy Friday!

2 comments:

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

I think some books just appeal to readers differently. We all have our preferences of our favorite reads. You have a nice, honest review.

Jessie Harrell said...

Thanks, Beverly. I'm glad you could appreciate my honesty. I know some people only like to see "perfect" reviews, but we can't LOVE everything we read, right?

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts! Thanks for dropping by.