To leave a comment, click on the header. You have to be "in" the post for the comments to appear. THANKS!

Saturday, February 11, 2012

That's YAmore Blogfest

Hi everyone -- thanks so much for coming by my submission for Oasis for YA's That's YAmore Blogfest.  We're really excited to be hosting this for the second year in a row.  In short, you can hop through the participating blogs and read 250 words of steamy YA romance from our WIPs. Hopefully, these excerpts will put you in the Valentine's Day spirit.

So without further ado, here's a romance scene I've been dying to write. Now, it just needs a novel.  :)  (Sorry I'm a *little* over my word allotment.)


“Come on.” He clasps my hand and tugs me forward. When we step through the squeaky screen door onto the porch, I’m hit by a wall of moist and humid air. The rain is falling so hard now, it’s a deafening staccato. I feel like I’m breathing in mist and already I want to turn around and bolt back into the A/C.
“But it’s pouring.” Like he needs me to state the obvious. Still, I feel compelled to point out - again - exactly why a walk is not a good idea right now.
“You may be sweet,” he says, while fitting his baseball cap over my head, “but you’re not gonna melt. I promise.”
And with that, he pulls me off the porch and we’re running across the yard. I’m shrieking as the rain drops pelt against my body, quickly soaking my t-shirt and plastering it to my skin. I have to use my free hand to keep his hat from blowing away, but I feel like every other part of me has been set free. The rain washes away my nerves and my fear until there’s nothing but us.
We splash through the mini-lakes that are quickly forming along the streets and weave our way to the park. I don’t know why we’re running anymore. We’re already soaked. But there’s a thrill in racing together, hand-in-hand, as we charge toward the park.
When we reach the center of the soccer field, he stops and twirls me around like we’ve been dancing. The rain is so cool against my face and I never want to stop spinning. Stepping away from him, I place both my hands out, palms up, and twirl inside the storm. I don’t care that his hat falls off, or that rain is running like a river down my neck. Each drop that plays against my cheeks and fingertips is a sensation I’m not sure I’ll ever get enough of. 
I spin until I’m so dizzy I can barely stand. In a final whirl, I crash into his chest and we’re both laughing. As he crushes me against him, we’re so close I can feel every rise and fall of his chest against mine.
“Kiss me, Kira,” he breathes. Before I find a reason to say no, his lips press into mine. They’re cool and wet and my knees tremble when he pulls away, only to suck a raindrop from my lower lip. My hands find his sopping hair. Water tickles between my fingers as I grab a fistful and pull him back to me. 
Our soaked clothes press together until I swear I can almost feel his skin. But it’s not enough. I want more.
The rain is our curtain. We’re invisible here in broad daylight. Free to let our hands explore, our lips collide, our heartbeats sync as we share the first kiss that’s been way too long in coming. When he finally slows our kiss, I feel dizzier than I did after my spin. Happier than I’ve felt in years. And I wish for rain every day this summer, just so we can share more walks like this. 


When you're done, be sure to stop by the rest of the blogs. I'm sure you're in for a treat!

22 comments:

Theresa said...

Amazing. I love the whole build-up to the kiss.

New follower *waves*

J.A. Souders said...

Whoot! This was great! Awesome build-up. <3

Nicole Zoltack said...

Ah, I loved this!

Cecilia Robert said...

Wow, I love this scene, Jessie! Your descriptions are wonderful, and the build up to the kiss, awesome. There's nothing as intoxicating as kissing in the rain in Summer. :)

Larissa said...

Ooh! I love this, Jessie! Rain kisses FTW!

Charity Bradford said...

I love how the rain set her free. What a lovely thought. And then the kiss was wonderful too!

LM Preston said...

I'm swooning already!

Lori M. Lee said...

This was wonderful! So sweet and playful. And so well written as well!

Elodie said...

Steeeaaammmmy :D
I loved this scene, the rain, the running hands in hands and THE kiss!

Catherine Stine said...

I love all of the water imagery. It has such steamy, fresh, spring, generative symbolism. Did you know that people say when it rains during a wedding, it portends great fertility?
Oh, but I'm skipping way ahead in their romance to the wedding and the babies! Ha!

Adrianne Russell said...

I love kisses in the rain! *girly squeal*

Connie said...

As soon as i started to read this images of The NOtebook ran through my head.

Katy Upperman said...

Lovely, Jessie! Kisses in the rain are the best, and that image goes perfectly with the scene. Love the name Kira too, by the way. :)

Patricia Marques said...

Oh, that was lovely and so perfect, I loved the set up of the scene and the rain and it was all just so, oh ♥ so, so lovely.

B. Pine said...

How sweet! The rain was so perfect and the build-up was just right. Very nice!

Christa Desir said...

I love "the first kiss that's been way too long coming." You're a hell of a writer, J. But I expect you've been told that before.

Anonymous said...

Sweeeeet! Your story Destined sounds very intriguing also. COngrats:)

Stephanie Diaz said...

Love this! With the rain and all :)

Natalie Decker said...

This was awesome Jessie! I love the rain kisses!

Liz Czukas said...

Who doesn't love a good rain kiss? Great scene!

- Liz

Jessie Harrell said...

Thanks to everyone who has dropped by, read my story and left a comment. I HEART you all and wish you a happy Valentine's Day!

Tonya Kuper said...

Jessie, you sucked me into that moment! I LOVE it!

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts! Thanks for dropping by.